Sunday, January 31, 2010

Winning Photo Screen Shot

I won a photo contest yesterday. I'm completely thrilled with this because this particular forum (called dgrin), is filled with top notch professional photographers. It is a very technical site and I have learned so much about lighting, post-processing, and shooting in manual from this site. I joined in September when I got my first dSLR camera and only 4 months later I actually won a challenge. There are challenges with various topics for each month. This month's challenge was entltled "Layers and Textures". I have never really played with layers or textures so this was new. I used what is called a "layer mask" and added a vintage texture to this photo. I also changed the levels curve, added a fill color and a few more touches. It took a good bit of time to master the layering mask technique but now I feel comfortable with it. I learned a lot and won in the process! Doesn't get better than that! Since I'm the January winner I will get a small biography/interview on the forum, along with a gallery of my photos. I need to select the topic for next month's people challenge too. Very excitng for me! :)

2 comments:

4 in 4 said...

Congratulations, Kelly! That is awesome! I've really been enjoying your photos that you have been posting! You are doing great!

How was Evan's birthday? Are you going to post photos and a story about that? I hope so! I hope you had a great day with your baby!

Love
Alex

Francemama said...

Thanks Alex!! Yes, I'm planning on getting some pictures up from his birthday for sure! I've been out of the blogging loop lately ;) Too busy taking pictures...not enough time to do anything with them, lol! Hope you guys are well!! I've been thinking about you. We are looking forward to Spring here! I can't wait to get outside with Evan. With him starting to toddle it is hard to be inside all of the time. XX